Polymeric films are used in a variety of applications for various markets including packaging, food and beverage, industrial, appliance, graphics, electrical and automotive to name a few. Each application requires a unique balance of physical properties, barrier, appearance and cost. Common films are made of materials including polyethylene and polypropylene, polyethylene terephthalate (PET), polylactic acid (PLA), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyacrylates, polyamide and multilayered structures combining various different films layers.
One challenge with current film technology is to achieve sufficient properties at lower film thicknesses. Thinner films are often desired for applications where cost is a concern, however, at thickness decreases, important properties such as water vapor transmission rate (WVTR) or tear strength may suffer. Approaches to modify the films with additives or by mechanical processing may enhance these properties but at the expense of other properties such as transparency.
Description of Technology
This technology is a new nanocomposite polymeric film comprised of a thermoplastic polymer matrix, modified organic clay and polymeric compatibilizer. The thermoplastic can be chosen from a variety of common materials including polyolefins, polyacrylates, PLA, polystyrene. The modified organic clay and polymeric compatibilizer may be supply directly or used as a masterbatch.
- Enhanced mechanical properties of sub mil thin films
- Improved extensional viscosity and melt processing of blown films
- Exceptional barrier properties (WVTR, oxygen)
- High transparency and clarity
- Very high extensibility of polypropylene based materials (area stretch ratios up to 50) without breakage, tears, microcracks
- High temperature resistant thin-film plastic sheeting in paint booths.
- Biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) for packaging and label
- Thermoformed products with polypropylene
Granted patent US 10,253,146
Licensing Rights Available:
Full licensing rights available.
Inventors: Dr. Jayaraman Krishnamurthy, Ren Weijie, Rane Rahul,
Tech ID: TEC2015-0069